(Jackson, MISS) – The Jackson Municipal Airport Authority announces updates and information regarding regulations by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). Inherently different and unique from manned aircrafts, the introduction of UAS into the nation’s airspace is most challenging for both the FAA and the aviation community. With the busiest global airspace in the United States, JMAA is working in concert with the FAA in taking an incremental approach to safe UAS integration.
With a broad spectrum of service to diverse communities, UAS come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Regardless of size, the responsibility to fly safely applies equally to manned and unmanned aircraft operations. The FAA is partnering with several industry associations to promote safe and responsible use of unmanned aircraft.
Here are some key tips to fly safely:
• Drones are prohibited in Class B Airspace, in fact, these areas are designated No Drone Zones;
• Drones cannot be operated within a 5-mile radius of any towered airport without notifying the airport and the control tower;
• Fly your drone under 400 feet and not near stadiums, airports, public buildings and large groups of people;
• Never fly your drone near a manned aircraft;
• Always fly your drone within your direct line of sight; and
• If you see a drone safety issue, call your local law enforcement.
For additional information and updates regarding Unmanned Aircraft Systems, contact the Jackson Municipal Airport Authority Operations at 601-939-5631, the FAA Jackson Control Tower at 601-965-5793, or Hawkins Control Tower at 601-965-5790. Additional information is also accessible at the JMAA website at www.jmaa.com/uas.
Drone Registration link: https://registermyuas.faa.gov/
Know Before You Fly Link: http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/
Smartphone App Link: https://www.faa.gov/uas/b4ufly/
JAN/HKS Airport Maps showing 5-mile radius.
JACKSON MUNICIPAL AIRPORT AUTHORITY
PHONE NUMBER: 601-939-5631
FAA: JACKSON CONTROL TOWER
PHONE NUMBER: 601-965-5793
HAWKINS CONTROL TOWER
PHONE NUMBER: 601-965-5790