The aviation community is rapidly expanding to include its newest member, Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or drones. Drones are in popular demand this holiday season and the Jackson Municipal Airport Authority wants our new flying partners to have fun and be safe.
Know Before You Fly:
• Keep your UAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
• Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
• Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the UAS.
• Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations. You must be able to see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
• Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
• Contact JMAA at 601.939.5631 ext. 252 and request “Operations On Duty” before flying within FIVE MILES of Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport and Hawkins Field Airport.
• B4UFLY is an easy-to-use smartphone app that helps unmanned aircraft operators determine whether there are any restrictions or requirements in effect at the location where they want to fly.
For information on registering your new UAS or guidance on operating safely, please visit http://registermyuas.faa.gov/. Registration is $5.00, payable to Federal Aviation Administration.
JMAA hopes you have a Safe and Happy Holiday and that you keep them flying.